Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon St Lucia easycohice_2016 All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty V-Day Valentine's Day Cards Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Shop Now Sale Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop

on October 3, 2012
UPDATE
As many pointed out, the screen protector is bad. It's much harder to put on than other brands for some reason (don't know why because they use the same material..). The lock button works well IMO. Still, I'm lowering my review to 4 stars because of the screen protector and higher price point.

ORIGINAL REVIEW
I ordered this TPU case in smoke along with the clear cover case that Amazon is also selling. I usually don't buy items unless there's a substancial amount of reviews but I figured it's only 10 dollars and it's from Amazon so there should be no trouble returning them if there was something wrong with it.

The case fits well. It's snug enough that it won't come loose but it's also not too tight like some other cases (i.e. Poetic cases). The camera hole is large and all the buttons feel natural when pressed. I'm not a big fan of the large cutout on the bottom (my other case from TechArmor, which is very similar to this one, has separate cutouts which is nice), but at least you won't have to worry about your connectors not fitting. There is enough lip on the front of the case so the screen doesn't touch the surface when faced down. The case itself is made of TPU which is sort of a hard but flexible plastic. What I really like is that there's no obtrusive branding on it like many other cases.

I already have a screen protector on my phone so I did not install the included one. From the looks of it, It does seem to be anti-glare and lines up with the phone. From a subjective standpoint, the smoke goes really well with the white iPhone 5. Overall, another great, quality product by Amazon.
55 comments40 of 47 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 31, 2013
I got this case because it's very minimal and in. I generally prefer bumpers over full-blown cases. However, I would not recommend this case, at least in white. Mine began turning blue from putting it into my jeans pocket numerous times during the day. It looked great when it was new, but the staining ruined it, so I've gone back to a case I was using before I bought this one.
on December 31, 2012
I decided to try out this Amazon basic case since I have a iphone 5 and finding a case initially was almost impossible. I have a white phone and like the clean lines of the AmazonBasics clear case. The plastic is somewhat glossy and provides ample protection. The buttons are all protected by the case and so are the silver areas around the port openings. I did like that. The one thing I did not like was the fact that after about a month, the case just took on a dingy appearance and started to look horrible. I have owned several white cases from other makers and have never experienced this other than on the AmazonBasics case and the Belkin white case I reviewed. Although I liked the coverage they provided, I would not recommend either case. I would recommend going with an Incase case if you are looking for a white case. The quality of the plastic is better and it will not pick stains like these do.
on July 4, 2013
I love changing the case on my iPhone, and I was excited about this case, thinking maybe I could personalize it so I wouldn't feel the need to change the case so often. I have also had great experiences with other AmazonBasics products. Too bad this one was so far below expectations.

The case looks cheap when you put in on the phone. It looks nothing like the picture when it is on the phone. The phone is difficult to remove from the case as well.

The screen protector wouldn't loose all of the air bubbles, not matter much I scrapped it, and the little card that comes with the screen protector for scrapping didn't last until the bubbles were sufficiently gone.

I had this case on my phone for a couple of hours before the appearance of it drove me nuts and I had to remove it. In that two hours, the case got all scratched up from sitting on my kitchen counter and in my pocket.

I would recommend you avoid purchasing this case!
This case is not bad for the price but the fit is slightly loose around the screen.

It's a good 'interim' case but if you are willing to spend a more, you can get a much better case in another brand.
VINE VOICEon December 29, 2012
I upgraded my old iPod Touch to the new 5th generation and wanted to get a minimalist case for it to protect the back and the screen. At this early stage in the game (mid-December 2012), there isn't an abundance of cases for the new iTouch on the market, and those that are seem too splashy with huge rims around the device or loud colors. I just wanted something simple, so I started thinking about getting an iPhone case but didn't want to jump into a high-end purchase not knowing how it would fit. The opportunity to review this came along at an opportune time, and I am pretty pleased with the results.

This unit holds my Touch with a minimum of extra space around it (with the smoke color it actually looks like a perfect fit when peeking in from the side) and the player feels more than secure. It is never going to inadvertently work its way out of this case.

As one might imagine, the precut holes for using the iPhone features do not exactly marry up, but they do not inhibit the use of the iTouch. You still have easy access to the charging plug and the headphone jack, and the speakers are not covered up with material. The performance of the camera and flash are not obstructed in anyway - I took test pictures to verify. The only issue is with the volume buttons as the down volume button is actually where the up arrow button is pressed into the plastic of the case and the up volume button marries up with a precut hole for the iPhone. Both buttons are easily pressed as soon as you realize this. In fact, it might be easier as I know if I can feel the actual button, it is up and if I feel the case, it is down.

The only reason I am ducking this case a star is because of the screen protector - and this has nothing to do with the iPod. This protector is just not as cooperative when applying or in use as others I have used, and I ended up throwing it away and will purchase a pack of protectors independently. The sheet, however, did fit the Touch fine.

Until some more conservative iTouch 5G cases hit the market (if they do), this makes a very good alternative to the teen-centric early offerings.

Updated to add (1/8/2013): I briefly thought that this case was interfering with the flash on my iPod but have since discovered that I can end up with a flash hotspot when I hold the iPod at a sharp angle whether it is cased or not.
VINE VOICEon June 28, 2013
My iPhone 5 endures a lot of wear and tear from daily use so I gave this AmazonBasics protective TPU case a try.

Likes:
>Simple to install; just snap the plastic base onto the back of the iPhone 5.
>This newest 2013 case has all the necessary cutouts and openings for buttons and ports.
>Provides basic protection from minor bumps and mishaps.
>Includes a basic screen protector.
>Only $4.99 with free shipping (at time of review).
>Simple, no frills packaging.

Slight Dislikes:
>Plastic cases are all brittle and prone to scratches and fractures from major bumps or accidental drops.
>The included generic clear screen protector has average scratch resistance and its clarity (no bubbles/debris trapped) is highly dependent upon experienced/skilled installation similar to all other clear protectors.

Overall:
No complaints for this low cost, clear case/screen protector combo that provides basic, adequate protection for my iPhone 5. I still prefer my SPIGEN SGP SGP10088 Slim Armor Case for iPhone 5 - 1 Pack - Retail Packaging - Metal Slate that provides much better shock protection but at a higher price.
VINE VOICEon November 3, 2012
I got this for my wife. She wanted a clear case so she could put a picture in the case and have her own case design. She had a hard plastic clear case and it was hard to get on an off and you could feel that it never really was completely on (there were cracks in the case where it did not fit together well.)

This case has a plastic/rubberized sides so it slips on and off easily. The clear back works well to show off her picture and she can easily change it out when she wants to. The solid white sites give the case some depth.

On the negative side I wish the sides were just a hair thicker. They will prevent scrapes but if she drops it from any distance, I am not sure they will offer much protection.

But considering the price I am happy with the case and would recommend it.
______
Update July 2014 - my wife has used this for nearly two years now and still prefers to the cases I use. She did accidentally leave the phone on the top of a car and it fell off at about 30-35 mph and there was only a slight scuff on the case, no other damage. She was lucky in the way it hit, but it still is a good case for the price.
on October 6, 2012
I don't think this is a very good case for the iPhone 5. My main problem is that the lock/power button is very hard to depress. I'm a strong male and sometimes have trouble depressing it. I think it was a poor choice for Amazon to cover this button with plastic. Also, unless you have somewhat long nails, it is a bit difficult to hit the vibrate switch on the left of the phone -- the case doesn't quite give me enough room to get in there and flick the switch. On top of this, I think it is also a bit tricky to use the volume up and down buttons.

In terms of protection from drops, this case seems quite adequate. It is also has a low profile and is very light, both of which are nice. I am usually a big fan of the Amazon basics line of products, but I think Amazon missed the bar on this one for the reasons I described in my first paragraph. I bought the case as a temporary solution, for which it is adequate. But I will definitely be replacing it with a better case. Hopefully Amazon improves this product in the future.
I had the original Amazonbasics iPhone 5 case and screen protector. It lacked openings so I stopped using it. This is the new model with the proper access points to use the functions of this magnificent phone. The screen protector is good. By now I've learned how to apply these types of screen protectors without getting bubbles.

The deal is outstanding, a very good offer considering it includes shipping. The case is more durable than the old one, I think because it's made of a better composite.

I'm not sure I'd recommend this case to many because those with an iPhone 5 usually will want a rubberized and more expensive case. However, some rubberized cases are a lot thicker than this quite thin case.

See 1 answered question