Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Tile Wearable Technology Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Mother's Day Gifts Amazon Gift Card Offer starwars starwars starwars  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite UniOrlando Spring Arrivals in Outdoor Clothing SnS

on September 27, 2012
I want to start this review off by saying that this isn't the best album that No Doubt has ever created, but it's not a bad album as some would suggest. I won't sit here and give it 5 star praise, because there are a couple of songs on here I could care less about and even some laughable lines have also made it's way on this disc as well, but again...overall, this is not a bad album.

After hearing Settle Down and Push and Shove, I got really excited to hear the album. When I finally heard it, I was a bit surprised to find it a little bit on the slower-ish side considering that Settle Down and Push and Shove are so upbeat. On the first listen that made me a bit disappointed, but after getting over that and giving a second and third listen I started to appreciate the album more. I've learned from listening to No Doubt over the years that if you go into this expecting anything from a previous No Doubt effort you're only going to create frustration for yourself. Each No Doubt album has a sound of it's own, and once you realize that I think that I think you can appreciate Push and Shove for what it is...a new chapter in No Doubt history.

I've listened to this album a few times now and overall it's pretty good stuff. I keep seeing a lot of people whine and moan about how No Doubt is not ska anymore and it's time to take a moment and pull yourself out of the 90's because that is the last time they were. If No Doubt were making the same time of music now as they were then, they wouldn't have a record deal because the same people who are whining about them "selling out" would be whining about how they are still doing the same exact thing and would not be buying their albums for that reason instead. Bands evolve, and that is exactly what No Doubt is doing. I can understand and appreciate that people don't like Push and Shove because it's not the No Doubt they loved from the 90's, but there is no reason to bash this album because they didn't go back in the studio and make Tragic Kingdom 2 either.

A lot of the album has a 80's new wave vibe, if that's not you're thing then you might want to stream the clips of the album before you purchase. I think anyone who has enjoyed either of the No Doubt albums post-Tragic Kingdom or "It's My Life" from The Singles 1992-2003 will enjoy this. Stop complaining about how this isn't like anything else you've heard by them and enjoy the music.
55 comments|97 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 27, 2012
After numerous listens I can say I love this new No Doubt album, and I was a fan since their debut album seventeen years ago in 1995 came out. I understand some fans feel this isn't what they were expecting, but come on artists grow and evolve. You can't do or make the same music forever. Like Madonna, and other artists before them they are maturing and I for one am happy to be on this journey with them. It's so rare now days to find a album that you can listen to from start to finish and actually enjoy. This is an album right up there with the new Madonna and Alanis Morissette Albums, where you can listen to it from start to finish and (with the exception of a few songs) really enjoy it. The deluxe edition of Push and Shove sold at target comes with a total of 19 tracks with the last few being acoustic and remixes which make the album that much better. The whole album is amazing, but the stand out tracks are the beautiful Undone, Easy, One More Summer, Push and Shove, Gravity, Undercover, Sparkle, Heaven, and Dreaming The Same Dream. I highly recommend this amazing album. It's great to hear quality music in a world that plays the same old disposable crap. Thanks No Doubt for giving me music that I can enjoy and that will last the test of time.

No Doubt Push and Shove deluxe edition sold at target.
1. Settle Down 0:06:01

13) Settle Down Acoustic - Santa Monica Sessions
14) Looking Hot Acoustic - Santa Monica Sessions
15) One More Summer Acoustic - Santa Monica Sessions
16) Easy Acoustic - Santa Monica Sessions
17) Looking Hot (Jonas Quant Remix)
18) One More Summer (Jonas Quant Remix)
19) Push And Shove (Anthony Gorry Remix)
33 comments|30 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
Since "Tragic Kingdom", legions of "I was here first" fans have lamented how No Doubt doesn't sound like "No Doubt" anymore. The complaints aren't any fresher in 2012 than they were in 1995.

The very crux here, is that No Doubt is a radio-friendly band, and they mostly do radio-friendly songs. If you're able to see past the weird pretension that all but two studio albums were mainstream successes (or that the eponymous "No Doubt" and "Beacon Street Collection" were often in the bargain bin, when stores had bargain bins), "Push and Shove" is a logical progression for the band.

Longtime fans will almost certainly find and appreciate the writing influence from Tony Kanal and Tom Dumont here -- just as they could see where it was largely (Kanal) or entirely (Dumont) absent on Gwen Stefani's solo efforts. Worrying that this is "Love. Angel. Music. Baby." or "The Sweet Escape" rehashed is missing the point entirely.

Of course, longtime fans will also be nearing their 30's and beyond, which presents something of a conundrum. You have to wonder if incorporating lukewarm dubstep beats and other recent trends is No Doubt's way of adapting to what's current, or if they're really serving up the trends in a way that their aging fan base will enjoy. Either way, that question ultimately matters to one's own snobbery, and doesn't change the fact that "Push and Shove" is a brilliant addition to any No Doubt fan's collection.
on September 25, 2012
Eleven years is a long, long wait between records, and its duration can be felt clearly as "Push and Shove" pleasurefully passes through the speakers, yet No Doubt have managed something very special with it - an album that plays not just as a new beginning, not just a reverential nod to their SoCal ska roots, but a solid, deliciously ambitious set of 2012 pop that follows up 2001's "Rock Steady" rather aptly.

"Settle Down" kicks off the album ideally, humbly underscoring their veteran status not only with its lyrical content but a jangly, tuneful melody that recalls their 90s output.

"Looking Hot" follows suit with its beats and production swirling giddily as Gwen Stefani unabashedly shares her insecurities of creeping toward middle age. Once again, her work with the boys proves more probing and personal than her side projects have, solo or otherwise.

Sizzling hits lurk all over the album. The stirring "Easy" and "Gravity" pulse and shimmer with grabbing choruses, intoxicating production and Stefani's nuanced vocals, the title track is carnivalesque with its juicy, horn-heavy arrangement and featured guests Major Lazer and Busy Signal, while "One More Summer" is rife with just the right brand of outsized pathos to stir up the proper emotions.

"Push and Shove" proves itself aptly-titled - it will satisfy diehard fans of No Doubt's entire discography, but it will also manage to please casual listeners - even those of Stefani's ultimately frivolous solo work - without pandering or making concessions of any kind.

Without fail, No Doubt still sound hip, inspired and vital, but a certain sense of maturity and ensuing self-realization work their way in to the songwriting and presentation. Their type-A, in-your-face quality is dialed down ever so slightly, and it is to their credit that they subtly acknowledge their newfound veteran status. They neither lord it over their listeners nor downplay it in a vain attempt to fit in with the new kids on the block - a rare, elegant feat.

Indeed, as Stefani sings on "Heaven" with her signature breezy cool, "I know it's never gonna be the way it was. How can it?"
on October 2, 2012
I definitely understand some of the old school ND fans feeling disappointed and one of my first thoughts was it does seem more like a Gwen cd than a ND one, BUT having said that, I have really been enjoying this cd. There are several great songs that will get stuck in your head and enough ska elements infused without the cd to keep old fans at least mildly happy. I think this is their best cd so far.
on December 1, 2012
OK, so I read some of the other reviews, and I generally have to disagree. Yes, there is no Don't Speak or Hey Baby on this album. But there are lots of fine songs, and its a musical work of art. I like every single song on it, which I can't say of any other No Doubt or Gwen Stefani album. All the attention seems to be on Push and Shove and Settle Down, when Looking Hot and Undone and Sparkle and Heaven are just as good. Yes, she didn't just break up with someone and hasn't got the wave of pain passing through the music, she's happy (more or less), and it's harder to write Don't Speak under those circumstances. But it's obviously a No Doubt album, and more than worth buying and listening to, and not just once.
on October 9, 2012
I hate giving a bad review, especially to No Doubt who I love. I waited a couple weeks and listened to the album about 5 times through before writing this. I want to attribute this album to cobwebs stemming from 11 years of no new releases. Let's call this a "transition album" -- you guys are back making music together again, I believe if you work on another album you can get that old No Doubt sound back again. "Settle Down" is the only song I enjoy on the album (although I wish the music video didn't prominently display L'oreal's brand name, kind of distracting when you know Gwen is a spokesmodel for them...)
"Push and Shove" is OK, and the other songs really just blend together for me.

Like I said, I love No Doubt. But I reject the notion that one must "evolve" to match current radio hits -- whether it be an artist, a band, or a music lover. Here's the pop music that's on the radio: Lady Gaga, Katy Perry, Drake, Lil' Jon, "LMFAO", and computer noise from DJ who-gives-a-shit. Lil' Jon pushes the artistic envelope with powerful lyrics like the masterful chorus from his collaboration with "LMFAO": "one shot, two shot, three shot, four!" Or the even more artistic lyrics from another recent collaboration with "LMFAO", in which the chorus is literally the word "shots" yelled exactly SIXTEEN times in a row, followed by the word "everybody!". Trying to get a band like No Doubt to adapt to that is silly and quite frankly insulting to No Doubt and their fans. Please, don't adapt. Great music is timeless.

I've been a huge No Doubt fan since Tragic Kingdom came out when I was like 11. I love their first 4 albums (title CD "No Doubt", Beacon Street Collection, Tragic Kingdom, and Return of Saturn). Rock Steady was a solid album, and I have both Gwen Stefani solo CDs and even those grew on me over time. This album just feels so bland, like every rough edge was ground off and polished until it blended in with everything else. There are no stand-out guitar riffs, Adrian's drums are in the background at best (whereas in previous albums they really pushed the songs along with a nice loud snare drum and excellent rhythm).

There is a simple question and I believe a simple answer for the next No Doubt album: No Doubt = Gwen, Tony, Adrian, and Tom... Which one of them plays the synth?

Please, listen to some older albums. An example is "Happy Now?" from "Tragic Kingdom". In the first 20 seconds you have Adrian leading the rhythm with a loud snare and excellent riffs between verses/chorus, strong bass from Tony, you have Tom playing an excellent reggae rhythm background with awesome solos and riffs throughout the song, all mixed with great vocals from Gwen. Other examples are "Spiderwebs" from "Tragic Kingdom" and "By The Way" from "The Beacon Street Collection". I want to hear the loud snare from Adrian, I want to hear riffs and solos from Tom, I want a driving bass that holds the song together from Tony, I want to hear some horns in the background, and I want to hear Gwen's signature voice. You guys are so talented, you don't need every song dominated by a synth or a computer.
on March 5, 2013
My wife and I have seen them in concert and own every one of their CDs. We are pretty easy for the picking - just give us something solid and you've won us over. I haven't been this disappointed in an album since Metallica's St. Anger.

The production is all over the place and it shows they wanted a big, new sound. The result seems like an off fusion restaurant. It has some dub beats, some classic sounds, and a little bit of a lot of different things. At the end, you feel confused and unsatisfied. Particularly for an artist, I think it's critical you know what you want to be. I think they have lost some direction.

We winced through a full listen of the CDs, at times cringing, laughing, and exchanging blank looks of confusion. Every band has their time and I think it's safe to say that theirs has passed.
on September 25, 2012
Because different people love different things about No Doubt, it's hard to know if what I value in the band is what other listener's value. Due to this, I'll be straightforward and say my favorite album by the band is TRAGIC KINGDOM - I've generally liked every album by the band, I was a little less crazy about the reggae influence of ROCK STEADY. It's been 11 years since ROCK STEADY, and coming into this record, it was impossible to predict which direction the album would go. Would Gwen Stefani's successful solo career direct the album? Or would it be more of a group effort? Would the band start over again with the basics, or would they pick up where they left off in 2001?

I'm happy to say that PUSH AND SHOVE hits way more often than it misses. This album is all over the place in terms of style and genre, sometimes dabbling in reggae, ska, alternative rock, electronica, pop, and new-wave. The through-line here is that the album feels drenched in electronic production, making use of synthesizers and electronic-drum machines.

The album begins with "Settle Down," PUSH AND SHOVE's lead single. This song seems to have divided some No Doubt fans - I don't think that it's a necessary indicator of where the album as a whole goes, so if you were turned off by this song, your hopes need not be dashed yet. The second song, "Looking Hot," is another upbeat song, but unlike "Settle Down," the song is covered in an 80's new-wave sound - it works - the song is incredibly catchy. The album's second single, "Push and Shove" is another return to the ska sound that No Doubt once made its bread-and-butter with a splash of Jamaican vibes. "Gravity" wouldn't feel out of place on a new-wave 80's compilation with its use of reverb and synthesizer. There are a few points where the album feels less like the work of a band and more of a continuation of Stefani's solo career: "Undercover" and "Undone" unfortunately stir up this feeling. Penultimate track "Heaven" works because it focuses on melody -- it sounds like a band effort, and they mostly nails it. "Dreaming the Same Dream," feels like a standard 80's synth-pop song, and it ends the album on a pretty lackluster note.

PUSH AND SHOVE is a mixed bag - there are moments where the band feel rejuvenated and reinvigorated ("Settle Down," and "Looking Hot,") and others that sound like the band is tired and exhausted ("Undone," and "Undercover"). I would recommend that all No Doubt fans at least sample this record; I don't think all fans will love it, but I do think that there is something here for everyone to find. While a few songs here will rank among some of my favorites by the band, PUSH AND SHOVE has really just made me want to go back and re-explore the band's catalog. Essential tracks to sample/download: "Looking Hot," "Settle Down," and "Push And Shove."
on November 30, 2012
The first concert I ever went to see when at 9 years old was No Doubt. At the time it was when TRAGIC KINGDOM had been out for over a year. Of course they played all the songs, and I remember it being an awesome concert. This is also when I discovered that the band is somewhat insane. Adrian, the band's almost naked drummer, with his mohawk. The entire band wearing makeup, not just Gwen Stefani. And worst of all was the mouth of Gwen Stefani. You'd think that she was raised by sailors. Being 9 years old these kind of things intrigued me, but because I was a "good kid" I never enacted said attitude outwardly.

Like many I was obsessed with TRAGIC KINGDOM for many years, and much of the music I listened to I compared with this CD. It more than likely fell short, even the band themselves I thought at times.

Fastforward to 2000 and their release of RETURN OF SATURN. After a few listens I couldn't get into the CD so I set it aside for some time and continued with my waning obsession of TRAGIC KINGDOM. Although I still loved it I wished that NO DOUBT or any band/artist could release an album equal to it. So began a musical purgatory in my life. Nothing sounded great, like TRAGIC KINGDOM. Then the band released Rock Steady. At the time, I thought it was strange that the band was trying to penetrate the reggae market. Many of the songs on ROCK STEADY were what I needed to spark my interest in music again. I was worried about the direction of the band because of all the reggae influence. I went back and listened to RETURN OF SATURN and saw that the band was just evolving their sound with each record. I then became intranced by certain songs on both records, awing at the talent of that each band member has and refined sound that I think Tragic Kingdom lacked, being such a raw album itself. This elegance made its way onto the band's single/remake of IT'S MY LIFE.

Then began the hiatus of No Doubt, which included Gwen's solo career, which was OK, but not what I had come to expect from the collaboration of the band & their affiliates. Band member, Tony Kanal, did help P!NK with FUNHOUSE. I can totally see a NO DOUBT influence sparking the music and lyrics behind this P!nk album. This is maybe why I love the record so much and one I hold to a similar standard to NO DOUBT's previous compilations.

So here we are ... the recent past and current present. After my own musical renaissance in college, the force of music came flooding back into my life stronger than ever, becoming a love of mine again. I began following the band again. I listened to every album many times over. I learned to love each album on its own. I thought that if this was all NO DOUBT would ever do together than I would have to follow them separately. I settled for thinking I would have to get my NO DOUBT fix vicariously through those artists they chose to light the flame of greatness beneath.

BUT THEN, the band announced that they were working on a new album. I eagerly anticipated its release even through its delayed release (to the agnst of their fans) and my delayed order from Amazon. The best stunt they could have done is release a song telling fans to SETTLE DOWN and that is exactly what they did! Just one more reason to love NO DOUBT. Not only that, but Settle Down is such a silly song that kinda has a weird fit to the puzzle of PUSH AND SHOVE as is the title track. One thing that I have seen in the progress of NO DOUBT is that they have been increasingly slipping into the background of music (I see parallels to Alanis Morissette). TRAGIC KINGDOM being their big breakout success that went further than they could have ever dreamed. They created an album that set the bar. Everything from their looks through to their entertainment factor pushed the envelope. This continued into RETURN OF SATURN, which despite not being as successful as TRAGIC KINGDOM still set the bar for alternative/pop rock. With ROCK STEADY they had crazy fusion between pop, rock, electronica and reggae, but it worked. They were conforming somewhat, but they were still pushing their fanbase into new territory. PUSH AND SHOVE seems like a move into the background. Almost a fading out if you will, which would have made sense like 5 years ago. But Why put out a CD if you don't think you are going to continue making music together?

Despite this factor and what many others say, I love PUSH AND SHOVE and I think it was worth the wait. My only complaint is that I think that Gwen could have sung some of the songs with a little more passion or displayed some kind of variation throughout each work. The record feels like a glimpse into the soul of the band and where they were up to where they are presently, which deserves a little more conviction on Gwen's part. Just like a NO DOUBT album though, each song is unique and fresh. So its not the band's best work, but its still a fantastic collaboration between its talented members.