Automotive Holiday Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Black Friday egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Luxury Beauty Gifts Under $50 Amazon Gift Card Offer cm15 cm15 cm15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $15 Off All-New Fire Kindle Voyage Classics and Essentials in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now Tikes

on September 27, 2012
I want to start this review off by saying that this isn't the best album that No Doubt has ever created, but it's not a bad album as some would suggest. I won't sit here and give it 5 star praise, because there are a couple of songs on here I could care less about and even some laughable lines have also made it's way on this disc as well, but again...overall, this is not a bad album.

After hearing Settle Down and Push and Shove, I got really excited to hear the album. When I finally heard it, I was a bit surprised to find it a little bit on the slower-ish side considering that Settle Down and Push and Shove are so upbeat. On the first listen that made me a bit disappointed, but after getting over that and giving a second and third listen I started to appreciate the album more. I've learned from listening to No Doubt over the years that if you go into this expecting anything from a previous No Doubt effort you're only going to create frustration for yourself. Each No Doubt album has a sound of it's own, and once you realize that I think that I think you can appreciate Push and Shove for what it is...a new chapter in No Doubt history.

I've listened to this album a few times now and overall it's pretty good stuff. I keep seeing a lot of people whine and moan about how No Doubt is not ska anymore and it's time to take a moment and pull yourself out of the 90's because that is the last time they were. If No Doubt were making the same time of music now as they were then, they wouldn't have a record deal because the same people who are whining about them "selling out" would be whining about how they are still doing the same exact thing and would not be buying their albums for that reason instead. Bands evolve, and that is exactly what No Doubt is doing. I can understand and appreciate that people don't like Push and Shove because it's not the No Doubt they loved from the 90's, but there is no reason to bash this album because they didn't go back in the studio and make Tragic Kingdom 2 either.

A lot of the album has a 80's new wave vibe, if that's not you're thing then you might want to stream the clips of the album before you purchase. I think anyone who has enjoyed either of the No Doubt albums post-Tragic Kingdom or "It's My Life" from The Singles 1992-2003 will enjoy this. Stop complaining about how this isn't like anything else you've heard by them and enjoy the music.
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 27, 2012
After numerous listens I can say I love this new No Doubt album, and I was a fan since their debut album seventeen years ago in 1995 came out. I understand some fans feel this isn't what they were expecting, but come on artists grow and evolve. You can't do or make the same music forever. Like Madonna, and other artists before them they are maturing and I for one am happy to be on this journey with them. It's so rare now days to find a album that you can listen to from start to finish and actually enjoy. This is an album right up there with the new Madonna and Alanis Morissette Albums, where you can listen to it from start to finish and (with the exception of a few songs) really enjoy it. The deluxe edition of Push and Shove sold at target comes with a total of 19 tracks with the last few being acoustic and remixes which make the album that much better. The whole album is amazing, but the stand out tracks are the beautiful Undone, Easy, One More Summer, Push and Shove, Gravity, Undercover, Sparkle, Heaven, and Dreaming The Same Dream. I highly recommend this amazing album. It's great to hear quality music in a world that plays the same old disposable crap. Thanks No Doubt for giving me music that I can enjoy and that will last the test of time.

No Doubt Push and Shove deluxe edition sold at target.
1. Settle Down 0:06:01

13) Settle Down Acoustic - Santa Monica Sessions
14) Looking Hot Acoustic - Santa Monica Sessions
15) One More Summer Acoustic - Santa Monica Sessions
16) Easy Acoustic - Santa Monica Sessions
17) Looking Hot (Jonas Quant Remix)
18) One More Summer (Jonas Quant Remix)
19) Push And Shove (Anthony Gorry Remix)
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 25, 2012
Eleven years is a long, long wait between records, and its duration can be felt clearly as "Push and Shove" pleasurefully passes through the speakers, yet No Doubt have managed something very special with it - an album that plays not just as a new beginning, not just a reverential nod to their SoCal ska roots, but a solid, deliciously ambitious set of 2012 pop that follows up 2001's "Rock Steady" rather aptly.

"Settle Down" kicks off the album ideally, humbly underscoring their veteran status not only with its lyrical content but a jangly, tuneful melody that recalls their 90s output.

"Looking Hot" follows suit with its beats and production swirling giddily as Gwen Stefani unabashedly shares her insecurities of creeping toward middle age. Once again, her work with the boys proves more probing and personal than her side projects have, solo or otherwise.

Sizzling hits lurk all over the album. The stirring "Easy" and "Gravity" pulse and shimmer with grabbing choruses, intoxicating production and Stefani's nuanced vocals, the title track is carnivalesque with its juicy, horn-heavy arrangement and featured guests Major Lazer and Busy Signal, while "One More Summer" is rife with just the right brand of outsized pathos to stir up the proper emotions.

"Push and Shove" proves itself aptly-titled - it will satisfy diehard fans of No Doubt's entire discography, but it will also manage to please casual listeners - even those of Stefani's ultimately frivolous solo work - without pandering or making concessions of any kind.

Without fail, No Doubt still sound hip, inspired and vital, but a certain sense of maturity and ensuing self-realization work their way in to the songwriting and presentation. Their type-A, in-your-face quality is dialed down ever so slightly, and it is to their credit that they subtly acknowledge their newfound veteran status. They neither lord it over their listeners nor downplay it in a vain attempt to fit in with the new kids on the block - a rare, elegant feat.

Indeed, as Stefani sings on "Heaven" with her signature breezy cool, "I know it's never gonna be the way it was. How can it?"
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
Since "Tragic Kingdom", legions of "I was here first" fans have lamented how No Doubt doesn't sound like "No Doubt" anymore. The complaints aren't any fresher in 2012 than they were in 1995.

The very crux here, is that No Doubt is a radio-friendly band, and they mostly do radio-friendly songs. If you're able to see past the weird pretension that all but two studio albums were mainstream successes (or that the eponymous "No Doubt" and "Beacon Street Collection" were often in the bargain bin, when stores had bargain bins), "Push and Shove" is a logical progression for the band.

Longtime fans will almost certainly find and appreciate the writing influence from Tony Kanal and Tom Dumont here -- just as they could see where it was largely (Kanal) or entirely (Dumont) absent on Gwen Stefani's solo efforts. Worrying that this is "Love. Angel. Music. Baby." or "The Sweet Escape" rehashed is missing the point entirely.

Of course, longtime fans will also be nearing their 30's and beyond, which presents something of a conundrum. You have to wonder if incorporating lukewarm dubstep beats and other recent trends is No Doubt's way of adapting to what's current, or if they're really serving up the trends in a way that their aging fan base will enjoy. Either way, that question ultimately matters to one's own snobbery, and doesn't change the fact that "Push and Shove" is a brilliant addition to any No Doubt fan's collection.
on September 26, 2012
When I heard that after 11 years, No Doubt's new album was finally coming out this week, I picked it up right away. After two listens so far, all I can say is that I wish it was better. There's no instantly catchy tunes, like there was on "Rock Steady" (other than maybe Settle Down). The songs sound more like a Gwen Stefani solo effort than a No Doubt record. Where's the humor? Where's the playfulness? Where's the kick-ass beats?? There's no rough edges on these songs. It pains me to say this, since I've been a No Doubt fan since the early days, and I really wanted to like this effort after so many years, but I have a feeling this will soon be just another forgotten album in my record collection.
1111 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 25, 2012
Because different people love different things about No Doubt, it's hard to know if what I value in the band is what other listener's value. Due to this, I'll be straightforward and say my favorite album by the band is TRAGIC KINGDOM - I've generally liked every album by the band, I was a little less crazy about the reggae influence of ROCK STEADY. It's been 11 years since ROCK STEADY, and coming into this record, it was impossible to predict which direction the album would go. Would Gwen Stefani's successful solo career direct the album? Or would it be more of a group effort? Would the band start over again with the basics, or would they pick up where they left off in 2001?

I'm happy to say that PUSH AND SHOVE hits way more often than it misses. This album is all over the place in terms of style and genre, sometimes dabbling in reggae, ska, alternative rock, electronica, pop, and new-wave. The through-line here is that the album feels drenched in electronic production, making use of synthesizers and electronic-drum machines.

The album begins with "Settle Down," PUSH AND SHOVE's lead single. This song seems to have divided some No Doubt fans - I don't think that it's a necessary indicator of where the album as a whole goes, so if you were turned off by this song, your hopes need not be dashed yet. The second song, "Looking Hot," is another upbeat song, but unlike "Settle Down," the song is covered in an 80's new-wave sound - it works - the song is incredibly catchy. The album's second single, "Push and Shove" is another return to the ska sound that No Doubt once made its bread-and-butter with a splash of Jamaican vibes. "Gravity" wouldn't feel out of place on a new-wave 80's compilation with its use of reverb and synthesizer. There are a few points where the album feels less like the work of a band and more of a continuation of Stefani's solo career: "Undercover" and "Undone" unfortunately stir up this feeling. Penultimate track "Heaven" works because it focuses on melody -- it sounds like a band effort, and they mostly nails it. "Dreaming the Same Dream," feels like a standard 80's synth-pop song, and it ends the album on a pretty lackluster note.

PUSH AND SHOVE is a mixed bag - there are moments where the band feel rejuvenated and reinvigorated ("Settle Down," and "Looking Hot,") and others that sound like the band is tired and exhausted ("Undone," and "Undercover"). I would recommend that all No Doubt fans at least sample this record; I don't think all fans will love it, but I do think that there is something here for everyone to find. While a few songs here will rank among some of my favorites by the band, PUSH AND SHOVE has really just made me want to go back and re-explore the band's catalog. Essential tracks to sample/download: "Looking Hot," "Settle Down," and "Push And Shove."
VINE VOICEon September 25, 2012
No Doubt hasn't released a non-compilation, studio album since Rock Steady in 2001, it's been 11 years. I have seen them twice in concert since Rock Steady came out. I have all of their albums, even their early pre-Tragic Kingdom stuff. I consider myself a fan.

It is hard to write a review on an album RIGHT after first listening to it, but I am going to try. I downloaded the album at midnight on release night (Sept. 25, 2012) and listened to it straight away. Below are my notes I made on each track as I listened to it.

01.) Settle down: (single -- heard it before the album was released) charged, good drums, energetic -- *2nd favorite song on album
02.) Looking Hot: Electronica, good beat, reminiscent of Tragic Kingdom (ska horns are back!)
03.) One More Summer: Slower, ballad
04.) Push and Shove: (single -- heard it before the album was released) faster, ska horns, Jamaican vibes, GOOD! -- *1st favorite on album
05.) Easy: Electronica, slower,
06.) Gravity: Electronica, 1980's pop-feel (kind of terrible)
07.) Undercover: Standard No-Doubt feeling song, little slow
08.) Undone: Slower, ballad
09.) Sparkle: Strong ska intro, good horns, good lyrical melody, VERY similar to Tragic Kingdom/Return of Saturn -- *3rd favorite song on album
10.) Heaven: Electronica, good melody, good beat, catchy -- *4th favorite on album
11.) Dreaming The Same Dream: Electronica, 1980's pop-synth feel, mellow, slow build-up to stronger middle crescendo

Overall -- I like it. It is a little more mellow than I would prefer. It doesn't have the Rock-Ska energy of No Doubt, or the Beacon Street Collection, or Tragic Kingdom. It doesn't have the angsty riffs and anger rock of Return of Saturn (or any really catchy ballads), and it (thankfully) doesn't have the Let's-Go-Jamaiican vibe of Rock Steady. It is it's own album. When Gwen, Tony, Adrian and Tom wrote their early ska-rock stuff in the late 1980's/early 1990's, they were in their teens and early twenties. They were in their mid-twenties for Return of Saturn, and hitting their thirties for Rock Steady. They are in their forties now, and their evolution of their music is showing their changing views on life, and their music.

Push and shove isn't as raw edged rocky and charged with ska as I would prefer, but Push & Shove, Settle Down, Sparkle, Looking Hot, & Heaven show that the band still has it (and if you haven't heard them play Stand & Deliver yet, you are missing out).

4 stars. I loves me my No Doubt.
on October 4, 2012
On my first listen through I was a little disappointed. Where were the heavy bass beats and ska sound? Instead this sounds more like dance music with those generic drum beats sprinkled throughout. However after the second or third listen through great tracks like 'gravity' and 'sparkle' started standing out. Gwen still sounds great with such great emotion and energy in her voice, like in 'undone'. I started finding my self singing the songs while doing the dishes and now have 'sparkle' stuck in my head. I think this will be playing in my car for some time.
on October 6, 2012
I can't be the only person who noticed that this isn't a No Doubt album. This is a Gwen Stefani album with No Doubt as her backing band. If you like Gwen Stefani's solo stuff, then you will like this album. If, like me, you don't like her solo stuff, then you will not like this album. I have a feeling that we will never hear a new true No Doubt album, since Gwen has (just as the video for Don't Speak predicted) become the "real" star.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 7, 2012
I love this CD. I think the true test of a good CD is whether you can listen to it clear through? Check. Can you listen to it over and over again? Check. Does every song bring something different but good? Check. My two favorites are "Settle Down" and "Undone." I'm a No Doubt and Gwen Stefani fan, true. But, this is an awesome CD. I listened to it over and over for three hours while I cleaned. It kept me going, kept me energized, and I had to sit down and listen to the words of Undone because it was just that good. Definitely recommend.