Automotive Holiday Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty Gifts Martha Stewart American Made Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Gift Card Offer minions minions minions  Amazon Echo Starting at $84.99 Kindle Black Friday Deals BestoftheYear Outdoor Deals on HTL

on December 14, 2012
I have the segate 500GB slim, and this thing beats it in every single aspect.
It's faster: I transferred about 100GB of photos; the Segate rate was around 60MB/s and the Toshiba rate of transfer was always more than 105MB/s...Amazing.
The Toshiba is smaller and looks more beaustiful.
I'm returning the Segate and will get 4 of these..
Well done Toshiba.
on November 21, 2012
This drive meets the basic expectations - fast, quickly recognized by Windows and Mountain Lion (Mac).

After that, it outshines the slim Seagate that carries a similar "slimness" premium in two ways.

1. The included software is decent enough and does full system backups automatically.

2. I was expecting it to be metal-lookalike know the cheezy finish that's pretty common on the Seagate and WD slim HDDs. I was pleasantly surprised that the shell is real brushed aluminum and the Toshiba logo is not printed but rather subtly etched on the metal (the sides are plastic though). The finish is very Apple-like, though I would not have paid a premium for that by itself.

The drive also looks much better in real life than it does in Amazon's pictures. The connector is a native USB 3.0 connection on the drive side and a regular USB connector on the PC side. I'm using it with a USB 2.0 port and it seems zippy in transferring data over that slower connection. Another nice touch is a white LED the is very subtly built into the back corner corner. So reads and writes can be observed without having to stare straight at the front panel. The included cable is short at about a foot (which I prefer over a six foot cable in a ultraportable drive).

Overall, this drive exceeds my expectations and I would recommend it over the comparable Seagate slim version.

Addendum: Its build quality is closer to Japan-made electronics but it is made in China.

Addendum #2: I've used it for six months without an iota of buyers remorse or problems. I'd buy it again in a heartbeat.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 23, 2013
I had issues with this hard drive until I did some research, because data transfer and performance were very low, the solution is to enable write caching on it (that's the same way your internal hard drive is configured, and the reason why must people complain that external drives can't compete with internal ones, it's all about write caching), now remember once you do that you must remove the drive only thru the windows safely removal hardware option, simply pulling the USB plug will most likely result in data corruption or loss, power failure could present a problem also (but a laptop has batteries so that's unlikely to be an issue) another easy option is to turn your computer off prior to pulling the USB plug, for those that are not too knowledgeable about computers here is how you enable write caching on a hard drive (for Windows 7 [other versions of windows should be more or less the same]): go to windows explorer, right click on the drive, click "Properties", then select the "Hardware tab", select (highlight) your external hard drive, click on the "Properties" button on the lower right corner, then click the button "Change settings" located on the bottom left corner and select the "Policies" tab, select "Better performance", and then below that select "Enable write caching on the device", and click OK. Now you'll have an external hard drive that will perform just like your internal hard drive.

That takes care of the DO's now for the DON'Ts: Don't use the provided cable, It's of very low quality, get yourself another one right here on Amazon (USB 3.0 type A male to Micro USB 3.0 type B male, [remember it's fully compatible with USB 2.0]) and forget about the included software, you don't need it, It crashed my computer; that's about it, good luck & enjoy your drive.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
This is a nice external USB powered hard drive at a time of writing this review it was under $50 for 500 GB on Amazon you can get some 1 TB external hard drives for around $80 if you can afford the extra 30 that extra 500 GB will come in handy at some point in the future.

If you're a Mac user setting this hard drive up with your computer is super easy follow these steps.

1. Plug in the hard drive
2. Open up disk utility found in your applications folder inside the utilities folder
3. Next select the newly plugged in a hard drive and on the right-hand side you should see partition click on that.
4. Then inside that screen on the partition layout drop-down choose how many partitions you'd like to set up. I generally go with one partition and just use folders to organize my files.
5. Then on the right-hand side you can name the partitions and select the format. If you want your hard drive to work with your Mac for doing Time Machine backups (which I highly recommend) choose NTFS format. Sometimes it's good to make two partitions and one using "MS-DOS fat" if you might be transferring files to and from a Windows machine (I do this with my friends as many of them run Windows so I have a little partition for giving them video files and the like). The reason is Windows machines and Macs can read and write to the "MS-DOS fat" format but your files will need to be under 4 GB each as that's the maximum file size it can hold.
6. Then click apply and your Mac will create all the partitions you wanted and you're good to go.

Thanks for reading it is helpful please click the button thanks.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 30, 2013
Amazing product. Had it for six months now and don't have a bad thing to say about it. It travels easy - doesn't require external power, and loads fast.

My one recommendation would be to avoid the clunky software. Just use it as you would a flash drive as it works better just dragging/dropping files.
on April 17, 2013
This external hard drive saved me. I needed it for complete computer image backup. The software was easy to use and the drive worked exactly as advertised. I would buy a few more of these. Very happy.
on May 10, 2013
I absolutely love this harddrive. Works on BOTH my mac and windows machines. It has extremely fast transfer speeds as I moved 95GBs in like a couple of minutes. Basically copied my whole computer in 15 minutes. It is nice and slim and looks quite styleish.

I bought a case from case logic which fits it perfectly. The case holds the cord and device snuggly

Also, Best Buy IS CHEAP right now. only $65 bucks!!! just sayin
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 27, 2013
Incredibly disappointed. Had high hopes that this would be the perfect drive for my husband to take to work, but it experienced a fatal error and died after only two weeks. Thankfully Amazon took it back.
on September 15, 2013
I wanted to buy a terabyte wifi hard drive even though I have never used 500 gig on my old one, but tired of dragging the drives off my desk and ruining them!! For 50 bucks I couldn't say no to trying this unit. I spent the extra $11 to get the drive delivered in 2 days and somehow Amazon delivered!! I don't know how they did it as I ordered the drive at 1:30 PM on Thursday the 12th and I got it on Saturday the 14th around noon. I really didn't know what I was buying just something cheap to get me by. What a great treat to receive a tiny little hard drive! I quickly plugged it in and transferred my 16 gig music folder....PA POW...this baby flies! I usually start the transfer and leave for a couple hours...not this time! I watched the data fly over the cable at 75-100 meg and it was done in 5 minutes vs. 3-5 hours!! The included backup software does the job, pretty basic for an IT guy like me...but it works and it is free. If you need a backup drive and want to get rid of the cables that usually cause you to rip it from your desk to its death...BUY THIS DRIVE...IT IS A STEAL FOR 50 BUCKS...if you need a terabyte drive...BUY 4 OF THESE AND REPLICATE!
on August 28, 2013
Reviews suggest that the Canvio is one of the fastest portable drives of its type. I have an older Hitachi 160 GB drive, surplus from a netbook, in a USB2 enclosure. I used back-to-back full backups (using Apple's Time Machine) with a 2012 Macbook Pro to benchmark USB2 vs USB3 performance. The Canvio (USB3) took 23 minutes, while the USB2 drive took 50 minutes, so there is a significant performance improvement, although it is far less than the raw 10X difference that the USB specification would suggest. Other uses, such as straight copying of files to/from the Canvio, may have better performance.

Overall, the Canvio is a very elegant device, and a nice companion to a Macbook. Too soon to say anything about reliability. Since I am using this drive strictly as a Time Machine backup, I reformatted it before running the tests.