Automotive Holiday Deals Up to 50% Off Select Books Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Indie for the Holidays egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Grooming Deals Gifts Under $50 Amazon Gift Card Offer cm15 cm15 cm15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $15 Off All-New Fire Kindle Voyage Classics and Essentials in CDs & Vinyl Outdoor Deals on HTL

on October 19, 2012
Brendon Small must have sold his soul to the devil. He keeps putting out album after album of great skill and taste. You'd think he would have run out of ideas after "Dethalbum II", AND his solo album, "Galaktikon."

Dethalbum III slays with face melting solos and fast double bass provided by the man, Gene Hoglan. Bryan Beller also graces us with his bass performance, which he hadn't had done previously except for Brendon's solo album, and for one song on the dethalbum II, "The Gears."

I will admit, the vocals are a tad different than the first two, but they sound great and brutal. People complained of the voice change from Dethalbum I to Dethalbum II, and if you got over that, this will be just fine.

There are many people reviewing this album, comparing it to the first one, complaining about how this album, "Doesn't have the humor that I was wanting, It's not as funny as the first one, wahhhhhh."

Really? You're complaining about an element that this album doesn't have that the first one had? Albums are supposed to progress as more come out, and this one was a progression of the second. The second was much more serious than the first. If anything, you should be whining about it on the reviews for the second album, not here.

In case you weren't aware of it by the last Dethalbum, Brendon has been trying to make more serious music than the first album. Sure, the first album was funnier, but it wasn't nearly as advanced as the Dethalbum II was. Get with the program, people. Brendon is trying to make serious music here, and it would be shameful to review it as a "Half ass, humor band". Take it like it is; "Melodic Death Metal" and review it from there.

Dethklok is fantastic, and I can't wait for another Album to come out, should Brendon grace us with another one.

(EDIT: Dethalbum III is now the highest charting Death Metal Album ever sold as of today. It overcame the Dethalbum II when it hit the NUMBER 10 spot on the billboard 200 charts. That, my friends, is pretty metal.)
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 17, 2012
Rest assured this is some quality metal. Especially for fans of the previous two albums, the album should not disappoint (the music is mostly from season 3 and 4 of Metalocalypse), but BE WARNED BEFORE YOU PURCHASE IT - this is the censored version! That leaves a lot of awkward pauses in the songs, especially in I Ejaculate Fire, and that personally bothered me so I opted for the explicit MP3 download instead. I would have liked the deluxe edition, and I don't have a clue why they would have censored this album and not the deluxe edition of the previous two, but the songs are still good enough that I don't mind sticking with the mp3 for now.
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 21, 2012
Great album. To be honest, it's not as memorable as the Dethalbum II was when I first heard it, but it's great nonetheless. Top 5 tracks are, in my opinion, "I Ejaculate Fire", "The Galaxy", "The Hammer", "Crush The Industry", and "Impeach God". Honorable mentions include "Skyhunter" and "Biological Warfare". The things about this record that aren't so great are that some things sound a bit repetitive and they don't feel as unique as the Dethalbum II did, and the comedy factor is much lower than before. But all in all the album is solid and easily their heaviest work to date, and it's still Dethklok, with their dark lyrics and brutal as ever, and anyone who is a fan and debating whether to buy the album should go ahead and get it.
on November 5, 2012
This album was one of the best yet. I love it. It rocks my face off. I would recommend it to any metal fan.
on September 15, 2013
I personally loved this album, Brendon Small is a death metal genius; He is clearly more guitar god than man and it is transposed into his music. I would love to know where he learned to play guitar, and who some of his greatest inspirations are. I would seriously consider buying this album is you love death metal music as much as I do, I am looking forward to what Brendon Small has coming for us next; I hope Skwisgaar, Toki, Murderface, Pickles, and Nathan can get along long enough to produce a Death Album four.
on March 17, 2014
Another evolution; this album is even heavier than the second, with much less show-based humor. This is Dethklok the band, as Brendon Small probably originally conceived it, come to fruition. "Starved" is one of the most dynamic, chunkiest, center-of-a-black-hole heavy metal grooves I have ever heard... and this is by a fictitious cartoon band? Brilliant. And "Impeach God" would sound right at home on an album from any big-name death metal band out there. He is a rare talent.
on October 30, 2012
I as well bought it at best buy, and I do not regret buying the deluxe edition- there was an un-advertized patch that came inside it!
I have not watched the DVD yet, but the music is solid. Not a bad track... but also nothing really stands out to me. This is after a few listens. So if you like the other Dethalbums, you'd like this one. I was a little disappointed because there was no 'Bloodtrocuted' or other memorable track, IMO.
on November 4, 2012
I'd consider this to be the best album yet. Instrumentals are phenomenal and the vocals never shy away from humor. I listen to at least one song from DAIII once a day. What I don't get is why people are reading this review and not already buying this album.
on November 2, 2012
Brendon Small and company prove once again that they are a force to be reckoned with in the world of metal. To release two incredible albums in one year - Galaktikon and Dethalbum III - is NO small feat! I tip my hat to them and their productivity.

Now then, who will like Dethalbum III? Well, if you liked Dethalbum II, chances are you'll love this one. I liked the original Dethalbum but not Dethalbum II, I can tell you right now that Dethklok is heading in a less melodic direction and toward pure, ugly brutality. That's not to say there aren't some melodic pieces on this album. Crush The Industry, The Galaxy, and Skyhunter are my personal favorites on the album, and I Ejaculate Fire has, hands down, the greatest guitar solo ever written. That's right, I said it, and I regret nothing.

The focus on this album is definitely on the incredibly guitar and drums, with technique taking precedence over a melodic experience. Gone are the ballads like Go Into The Water and Black Fire Upon Us, replaced instead with aural blitzkriegs from Small's Thunderhorse Gibson Guitar. This is the heaviest work Dethklok has released to date, and if you're not ready for "The Dreaded Hexikicks" in Killstardo Abominate, then you're not ready for this album.

If you love the show, though, and especially Season 3 and 4, then you'll love this album. As usual, the lyrics reflect the events of the episodes, even after years of rewrites and improvements. If you are familiar with the story of the show, then you'll get a laugh out of the subtle references in the songs back to the show itself. While the subject matter of the songs is not overtly funny, it's also not as dark as that in some other death metal. It's all done tongue-in-cheek here, par for the course for Dethklok, but done with skill lightyears beyond what could be found on the original Dethalbum.

Yes, avoid the censored version, as the few swears that are on this album are actually smartly used to comedic effect. I can only guess how much is lost without them.
on November 21, 2012
To me, this is the best Dethklok album to date. That's saying something as the first two are also outstanding. Brendan Small has the ability to bring melody to the death metal sound without making the music the least bit mushy. It's precise and brutal with melodic flourishes. Naturally, the guitar work is exquisite. The drum work is also top notch and the bass is deep. The engineering and production are also excellent. The MP3s sound great! And they're explicit.

This album is like a symphony from a death metal orchestra. On first listen, the individual songs don't seem to have the sort of character that makes classics, but the entire album is an exercise in musical virtuosity and structural excellence. Every song has something to contribute, and the uniqueness of each song becomes clear with repeated listening. I can't pick a favorite. I did throw Rejoin off the playlist, but that's me. It's quite good, but not to my taste.

As other reviewers have noted, the humor is toned down. It's still there, but it's more subtle. You don't find anything like the Duncan Hills Coffee Jingle, Face Fisted, or Laser Cannon Death Sentence; but songs like I Ejaculate Fire and Impeach God are too over the top to take seriously. And the musicianship is awesome! It's too good to ignore.

It's funny that Dethklok is the imaginary band from a cartoon show, because the music is better than the music of most real bands. If you are a fan of brutal, melodic, well-crafted metal with razor sharp musicianship, you must have this album. Buy it! You will not be disappointed.