Automotive Holiday Deals Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon GG $5 Albums egg_2015 Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Martha Stewart American Made Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Gift Card Offer minions minions minions  Amazon Echo Starting at $84.99 Kindle Black Friday Deals BestoftheYear Outdoor Deals on HTL

on November 23, 2012
Great price. This laptop is good for students & mom's (with 3 zillion kid's photos). I suggest you get something better if it's for business or gaming. Be of the windows updates freezes the laptop when updating. It will stop at 13%; eventually refresh. Look on windows forums for instructions on how to uninstall drivers, re-run updates and you'll be fine. It was very frustrating and help was limited.

Also, if you're new to using Windows 8, plan on a learning curve. It's not going to be a plug & play experience. Give it time, eventually you'll grow to like it. Have another resources for getting information like an iphone or second laptop so you can google your questions as you learn the new system. Have fun!
66 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 29, 2012
I got this one on Cyber Monday. It comes with Windows 8. Now, Windows 8 apart, because its still new and has its own issues. Give it time to become stable. The build quality is fine enough. Even though it is plastic, it is sturdy. The keyboard is buttery. Easy to use and smooth. One thing i like to most on it is the display and the built in graphic chip. Its better than the ones used in Dell.

Usually HP laptops have problems with heating but most of these are with intel processors. The one that comes with AMD do not have such issues. Weird but true. The processing is fast. Easy setup and lightning quick browsing(Use chrome). I would suggest others to buy this one for sure if they are looking for a budget laptop.

Using it for 2 weeks, i decided to remove the Norton antivirus that comes with it and installed the Windows Security Essentials/Defender. It has improved the performance that way and we really dont need to buy a antivirus. Loving the display more, no update problems as mentioned in certain comments. I did not install any tiles app apart from the ones that come along. Uninstall-ed Skype for windows 8 and installed the desktop version. I really dont see why do we need tiles on laptop.More widgets would have been good instead of tiles.

Netflix watching is cool. Didnt try any gaming yet but since this is a basic one, i am not expecting anything big. Will give my next update after a month. As of now, i love this as a HP Product. Windows 8 needs a lot of catching to do.

Almost a month, i am impressed with the laptop. Also i found out what is causing the updates being stuck at 12% in my case. It was the Anti virus tool and Windows Defender clash. The norton one that is coming with this laptop for 3 month subscription is not required at all. So ensure that before installing any updates, uninstall the Norton and restart it once. Then install the HP updates and followed by Microsoft updates.

I bought another of this same laptop as my dad required one too. He loved it too. Also windows 8 performance is improving slowly. But i really dont understand the use of Tiles on laptop.
on November 30, 2012
We finally decided to upgrade to a laptop after our 5 year old desktop with Windows 7 Home premium started showing signs of wearing out. After much research I finally decided to go with the HP G6. Comparing prices in the market it was the lowest with the most features. I had used HP products before and I have always had good luck. I paid for two day shipping and it arrived at 6:00 PM the second day. There is very little in the box other then the laptop, power cord, and quick start guide. It did arrive fully charged which was a plus since I was able to power up as soon as it was unpacked. There is a LOT of plastic covering the laptop that takes a little bit to peel off but did a good job of protecting the laptop. My intial opnion of the lap top is that it seemed very sturdy and well built for the price. The screen seems a little flimsy and I find that I am being very carefull when opening and closing it becuase of that. The display is very sharp and bright and pictures and video look pretty good for a laptop at this price. The laptop is self comes with quite a few programs so you will have to explore which ones you need and the ones you want to delete. It was very quick to connect to my WIFI and download speeds are as quick as my destop was. This laptop does have blue tooth and I did connect my phone to it to try it out. Connecting my phone allowed me to make a call using my computer, but when someone called my phone it did not ring thru the laptop? I may need to explore that some more as I was only testing it and really did not spend much time with it. Over all HP did a great job on this laptop at this for the bad.

Microsoft really.....I mean REALLY???? You had over three years to develop your new operating system and this is what you come up with??? I was really looking forward to trying windows 8 and now I am longing for windows 7. I am fairly techanically savey, but this new OS has me scratching my head! I always thought then when you upgraded your OS it was so it would make your computer run better and using it easier, I was wrong. The first thing I will warn you about is DO NOT USE WINDOWS UPGRADE!!! When you receive the laptop and finally figure out how to use it you will find there is several windows updates that need to be completed, dont bother!!! After three failed attempts that kept my laptop locked up for a couple hours at a time I gave up. I did some research and this is not a HP problem, its Windows 8. They also got rid of Windows Media Center, or at least I can not find anything that resembles it. I had our previous desktop set up to stream thru out XBOX 360 and it worked just fine. When I tried to set up my new laptop to do the same it quickly became apperent that rules had been changed. I am not going to go into a lot of detail but needless to say once I figured it out it does work pretty slick. The only piece of advice I am going to give you is make sure to download XBOX 360 smartglass to your laptop, it makes it much easier. No start screen...okay. This has been beaten to death in the media and there is even apps you can purchase so you can have your start screen. Change is good, keep telling yourself that as you try and figure why you have a "desktop" screen and a "tile" screen. I personally like the look of the tile screen and I have it set up for the apps I use the most. But to gain acess to the control menu, network setup, or drive map I have to go to my desktop? It seem like the "tile" screen is a combination of the old program menu and your desktop shortcuts. I want to mention that I have only had this laptop for three days and maybe I still need to experiment with the settings so I could be wrong about this. I know this is the new direction for the Windows OS and it will take some getting used to. Its kind of like going from driving a Chevrolet Impala to trying to drive the Space Shuttle, okay maybe its not that bad but you get the idea. There is a HUGE learning curve between Windows 7 and Windows 8 so be prepared for that.

Final Review
HP G6- A solid 9.5
Windows 8- 3.5
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 10, 2012
I'm still waiting for the other shoe to drop on this fantastic deal. It's lightweight but sturdy, is lightening fast, has bluetooth and all the features I wanted.... What's not to love?!?! It has Windows 8. I've heard some grumping about Win 8 but I think it's awesome! And, no, I did not get used to not having a Start button in the bottom left but guess what? There's an app for that!! Now I have it. I think Microsoft intended for the Start menu to look and work more like a cell phone menu. It works but it's a new concept for a pc and took some getting used to. That shouldn't be a problem for a typical computer user, though, you just figure it out as you go and Google the rest. ;-) But now that I have my Start button back I think it's the nutz! I love having an 'app page' on my pc. It's just too cool! B-)
on December 3, 2012
I am very pleased! I bought this computer on cyber Monday and took advantage of the super saver shipping, but then regretting having to wait a whole week! I was so excited! Everything went really smooth when I set up the computer, no glitches or freezes like other customers wrote. Windows 8 is very new, I have a windows phone, but this is way different. I like it, though. It really does take some getting used to. There is so much I don't know how to do, which is weird for someone of my generation, but I'll learn! The laptop itself is very light, even with the battery in. The size is perfect, and it has a really sleek look. Overall, I would definitely buy this computer again, and it is such a great value for the money.
on December 5, 2012
The shipping was extraordinarily fast. If you are noticing that there is no light indictor for the "numlock" button, you're right---there isn't any like you'd find on a seperate keyboard. Instead, you must look when you sign into email browsers or even your lock screen to see whether the numbers are typing out or not. I called HP about this and they had no clue about the fact that there was no light indicating whether the "numlock" was on or off. You have to visually look to see if the encrypted numbers on a sign on screen appear or not. If they don't, your "numlock" is off, if they do, it's on. There is nothing wrong with the laptop. It works flawlessly. I'd recommend it.
on January 4, 2014
I had the misfortune of purchasing this laptop in December of 2012 based on the reviews seen as well as the fact that this was rated as one of the top ten's best laptops at the time, however, the "C" key was the first thing to go almost one month later (January 2013). I contacted Amazon to complain and they sent a box for return, however, it was too late to send out the item as I was not in the US at the time and noting that a month would have past for it to be covered under the return policy had I sent it back.

Over a period of 7 months, all the keys on the laptop stopped working and it started to overheat!! We contacted HP who sent a box for shipping to correct the problem and it cost me $111.00 to ship because I was outside of the US. I had no idea that they would then return the laptop a month later stating that the cause for the laptop not working was not under warranty i.e. spills, drops, misuse. None of this happened as the laptop NEVER worked properly. It was utter garbage from the beginning. I received no compensation for the $386.00 I spent on this worthless laptop and I also lost $111.00 in shipping cost thinking it was going to be fixed. I bought an Asus laptop for my son and we never had any issues with it and that was years ago and it is still working! I decided to try something different, but that was the biggest mistake I ever made.

I am now in search for another laptop, but I would never ever buy an HP laptop of any kind again!
on March 7, 2013
Good. CHEAP. Very slow. I've used it for 2 months. Pretty decent. Now, I want to throw it away. I right-click on a file, and exactly timed 45 seconds until the menu pops out. Really frustrating. The screen is very glary. Heat venting is good. I can't restart, if I do, it's will have the circle thingy waiting saying: "shutting down", until the battery runs off. I have to reset the computer. First, the photo, video, music apps once didn't update my files, even I'd set the correct destinations. Second, it couldn't install some software that were compatible with Windows 7. Third, when starting up, if you click anything, the boot-up time (when logged in) would take twice longer (until you have a fluent multi-tasking usage). Forth, some apps couldn't log in with your Windows account, some couldn't even be installed to your computer, some crashed all the time.

Though after the reset, things are BETTER. But some are really really frustrating. You have to be like, a tech geek, to solve things out. Or you'll be very mad.

Why I rated this 3? Because. well cheapness has its price. So far, I'm tolerate with its performance. Oh, good Raedon graphic. Can do some heavy graphic stuff. Not much.
on July 1, 2013
i ordered this laptop and my first impression of it was pretty good. although the downside of it is that it cant restart. well, it can but it just takes forever. not really a problem for me since i dont restart my computer often. (only for updates and such) this laptop is a prime example of one that needs to be broken in to be at its finest. when i first got it, it was pretty fast but not that fast. now after about 5 months of daily use, its pretty fast. im kinda of a tech geek, so i added an extra 4 gigs of ram for a total of 8gigs. and i also added an ssd. so this computer is really fast. the processor and graphics card are ok.(it can play 1080p video with out noticable lag) and a perfect computer for the average person. for anyone buying this laptop, i highly recommend adding more ram. when i added the extra 4 gigs, i noticed an increase in speed. i also removed all of the programs from hp. there really is no point in those programs as all they do is take up space and annoy you with pop ups and slow your computer dowm. great laptop. wished it had a better hard drive though.(like one with 7200 rpms or sumthing like that)
on December 29, 2012
I have had this laptop for about a month now and can give a better evaluation after becoming familiar with its functions.
I purchased the laptop for a great price at $350 to replace my aged Toshiba which was a great laptop. Amazon delivered the product well before expected delivery. Like others who have purchased this laptop, I had major problems with Windows updating and the bluetooth connection. HP support was helpful but it was a royal pain to resolve. You would think a brand new laptop would run with no issues, nope not this one. Compared to the Macbook Pro and Toshiba I own, which had no problems from the get go, this HP laptop you have to jump through hoops to get it to run like it was intended to.

Well after the initial growing pains of this laptop I can say its slighty better than average. The AMD A6 processor is fairly fast, comparable to Intel's I3 and the integrated graphics is well above average especially in this price point. Windows 8 is ok, as with any new OS will take some time to get all the bugs out. Overall a decent little laptop. I am hopeful that this HP is as durable as my Toshiba.