Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_cbcc_7_fly_beacon Sixx AM Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Subscribe & Save Mother's Day Gifts Amazon Gift Card Offer ctstrph2 ctstrph2 ctstrph2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite UniOrlando ReadyRide Bikes from Diamondback SnS

Format: MP3 Music|Change
Price:$11.99

on November 13, 2012
I write this review knowing that I'm not in One Direction's target market, but I've been a supporter of them since their days on X-Factor and loved the debut album. With Take Me Home, the band have truly entered their "imperial phase," that elusive world-dominating period that happens to the luckiest of pop stars, and usually with the second album. I'm thinking Katy Perry's Teenage Dream, Lady Gaga's Fame Monster, Rihanna's Good Girl Gone Bad, Nsync's No Strings Attached, etc. With any luck, the right singles choices will place this album amongst those successes. There will be many self-important, "credible" music lovers who will say that this type of transparently bubblegum pop has no merit, but I will continue to push back. I like fun music--music that makes you feel energized. And this is certainly an ample dose of it. You won't find many low scores here. The album's even more consistent than their debut.

1. Live While We're Young - Kicking off the album, I feel like this is actually kind of a misstep as the first single. Not because it's a bad track, but because it's one of the weakest uptempos on the album. 8/10

2. Kiss You - This is a step up, and follows the template of their breakthrough What Makes You Beautiful. It's got that punchy, guitar-assisted power pop feel that makes One Direction such an exciting prospect as a pop band. 9/10

3. Little Things - Probably the most stripped-back song they've recorded yet. Co-written by Ed Sheeran, and it certainly sounds like it. It's the second UK single, and is definitely an interesting choice. 10/10

4. C'mon C'mon - The most electronic track on the record, this has a great 80's vibe to it. I particularly love the middle eight, which really propels the song to that final, anthemic chorus. 10/10

5. Last First Kiss - Despite the overall cheesiness of the lyrics, I just can't get the melody of this out of my head. The chorus is so ridiculously catchy. The sound is midtempo, but the production is so huge that it doesn't sound at all like a ballad. 9/10

6. Heart Attack - Like Live While We're Young, this is one of the weaker uptempos on the album. It sounds slightly too American for my tastes--like something Maroon 5 would record. 8/10

7. Rock Me - Oh, that chorus! At first, I thought that it would be too repetitive, but it just works. The production really shines. 10/10

8. Change My Mind - Many have pointed out that this is too schmaltzy, but I'm not sure that's really an option with a band like One Direction. As a midtempo, it's a great way to break up the big dance tracks and the second half of the lovelorn chorus is particularly striking. These guys' vocals have improved so much since X-factor. 9/10

9. I Would - This track was written by the guys of Mcfly, and if this is any indication, they should write the entirety of One Direction's next album. This is flawless power-pop. Really fun and huge and catchy. I can't rave enough. 10/10

10. Over Again - The second Ed Sheeran written track, and it sounds even more like one of his own songs. Despite some cringeworthy lyrics, it's really a strong ballad with some excellent vocals. 9/10

11. Back For You - Out of everything on the album, this feels the most like filler to me. It's the track I always forget. That's not saying it's bad, but it's just not very memorable. 8/10

12. They Don't Know About Us - This is the complete opposite of unmemorable. If this isn't a single, I'll be really angry. This track is everything that was great about the late-90's teen pop boon crammed into one song. In fact, it sounds a lot like the Backstreet Boys in their imperial phase. The production on this is just flawless. Probably the best track on the album. 10/10

13. Summer Love - A more straightforward, soft-rock type of track and, from the production notes, it seems that this is the song the boys had the biggest hand in creating. If so, then that bodes well for their future, because this is a very effective, very enjoyable closer to the album. 10/10

14. She's Not Afraid - Back to the 80's-inspired power pop for the first of the deluxe edition bonus tracks. This is better than some of the uptempos on the actual album. Nothing revelatory, but a lot of fun. 9/10

15. Loved You First - This is a gargantuan 80's pastiche, all chugging guitars and explosive, synth-drenched chorus. I would have loved to see this on the actual album, because it's incredibly strong. 10/10

16. Nobody Compares - Another strong uptempo with great production and a real earworm melody. Fans of old-school power pop should really give this group a chance, because that's exactly what this is. 9/10

17. Still The One - Just a little too frantic for me to give it one of the higher scores. That said, this would still be a highlight on most pop releases this year. 8/10

Album Grade: 9.2/10
99 comments|132 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 15, 2012
picked up 3 copies [2 regular cds and 1 yearbook] here on amazon and couldn't be happier with the album!! the yearbook edition has the bonus tracks and of course the guys are looking pretty good in all the pics!!

ok...to the album, here are my picks for the best tracks [aside from the 2 current singles]: kiss you, heart attack [my very fave on the album], rock me, last first kiss, c'mon c'mon, i would, they don't know about us and still the one. this and justin bieber's albums are the two best albums i've bought all year!! if you like uptempo pop music and well written/produced ballads the new one direction album won't disappoint!! couldn't be more happier and proud of the guys!!
on November 15, 2012
I bought this for my granddaughter and did I ever make and impression. She thinks I'm a hip grandma now and really love this band.
on November 14, 2012
This album is a major step up from the first. All the songs are great and I can listen to the whole record without feeling the need to skip a song. The voices, lyrics and music have all improved so much. Its defiantly worth the price!
on January 8, 2013
I'll be short, sweet, and to the point.
If you liked One Direction's album 'Up All Night' like I did, then you should buy this album. I also recommend the Target album for the extra songs -- worth it.
There is no question. This music is ear crack. I need it.
Plus also, One Direction have grown up. A lot. Not as innocent as 'Up All Night!' It's all new and fresh and wonderful. Honestly, they couldn't have done better for their sophomore album. Dare I say it? It's better than their first.
Take Me Home is brilliant, and I couldn't love it more. Keep it coming, boys! Can't get enough. =)
on January 8, 2014
First of all, the music itself deserves much more than 5 stars. The one less star is due to when I ordered it as used like new, I had expected to get the regular cd. So a day later realizing this I went back and ordered the yearbook edition as well as the yearbook edition of up all night. So I receive this in the mail today it's also the yearbook edition. Don't get me wrong I'm excited because it's the one I wanted in the first place. I'll be giving my second copy to my sister who has the first but not second cd. I'm just saying, if I knew which edition it was I wouldn't have placed another order because this was clearly labeled as just the regular and the other as yearbook edition.

As for the music, I love One Direction even though I'm well over the target age for this group. The music is catchy, peppy and reminds me of the boy bands I listened to. Yes, maybe some of the lyrics are controversial. But that is life. So are books and television shows aimed at this age group. So to me it's a sign of the times.
on May 4, 2013
The little girl whom I bought this cd for was excited when she opened the package and saw that it was the One Direction cd she wanted. After looking at the case, she asked "This is used, isn't it?" ... She shouldn't have cause to ask that question if this is a "brand new" cd. Secondly, the cd stopped playing after multiple tries on different devices. I am not pleased with how this went down, but she is 8 years old and has found other things to occupy her mind.
on November 28, 2015
It's an good album. There's a lot of improvement from their first album. Yearbook edition is a little overpriced in my opinion; if I could go back, I would have bought the regular edition. There wasn't anything really special about the yearbook edition
on May 22, 2013
Being a huge Take That fan, I approach the turnstile arrival of British boy bands with suspect. Just like Take That, One Direction are a creation of someone sensing an opportunity in the marketplace. One Direction don't dance. Save for the Kennedy-esque Harry Styles, none of the members turn my head. But their harmonies are undeniable. Take That has an ingrown songwriter in Gary Barlow. Don't know if anyone of Directioners have that talent waiting to blossom. The songs are fun and age appropriate. The fact that they have broken through in the states while Take That came close is another plus for the guys. From Il Divo to One Direction, Simon Cowell builds on his brand. Never forget his brilliant pairing of Diana Ross with Westlife. Is this real? What is real? Take it home and decide for yourself.
on December 13, 2013
I bought this for my 14 year old niece, and it's all we listen to. The guys sound great, and the songs I relate to maybe better than she does! She is turning me into a Directioner!