Automotive Holiday Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Indie for the Holidays egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty Deals Gifts for Her Amazon Gift Card Offer cm15 cm15 cm15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $30 Off Fire HD 6 Kindle Cyber Monday Deals AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Outdoor Deals on DOTD

TOP 1000 REVIEWERon November 13, 2012
"I Will Always Love you: The Best Of Whitney Houston" is a concise single disc collection of some of her hits; a smattering of tracks from the albums "Whitney Houston", "Whitney", "I'm Your Baby Tonight", "Bodyguard", "Waiting To Exhale", "The Preacher's Wife", "My Love Is Your Love", and her last album "I Look To You", including all her US number 1s. It's great to have the tracks remastered, especially the "Whitney" and "I'm Your Baby Tonight" tracks. The version of "I'm Your Baby Tonight" is the swinging horn-peppered version, not the Club version, and "I Believe In You And Me" is the movie version.

Also included are an alternate take on "I Look To You", stripped and more somber with mainly piano and featuring alternate vocals by Whitney, the vocals of R. Kelly, and some faint calming choir in the background. The "We love you Whitney, rest in peace" at the end is rather cheesy though and should have been left off. The final cut is a new recording, a mid tempo R&B song "Never Give Up" with inspirational lyrics, similar in feel to "Worth It' or "I Got You". Sung in the lower throatier register of her last few years, it sounds like something recorded during the sessions of her last album. I love both songs.

I don't know if these songs will be enough to make people want to buy this when "Whitney: The Greatest Hits" is more extensive, but the bonus disc of the Deluxe edition has loads more tracks, even including her duet with Aretha "It Isn't, It Wasn't, It Ain't Never Gonna Be". Fans will definitely want this.
77 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
Ultimately, creating a 'greatest hits' compilation should be the easiest thing in the world. Unfortunately, the 'compilation' is one of the most messed up things that occurs in the music world. The catch comes when you include versions other than the original that people have come to know and love and when you include bonus cuts/remixes that truly don't even tickle the die hard enthusiasts fancy. That was the big rub with the two-disc Whitney Houston - The Greatest Hits; it had too much fluff and omitted important pieces of Houston's illustrious career. 2012's I Will Always Love You: The Best Of Whitney Houston is stronger because of it's focus and the elimination of remixes that did not truly exemplify Houston's prodigious pipes. It also presents Houston's hits chronologically, something many greatest hits collections could benefit from. This reflection won't relay the superb nature of these timeless classics (everyone knows how great they are), but it will evaluate the soundness of this compilation and its epitomization of painting Houston as the the star that she was. This will be an album-by-album approach.

1985's Whitney Houston is represented by no. 3 hit "You Give Good Love" (track 1), no. 1 hit "Saving All My Love" (track 2), no. 1 hit "How Will I Know" (track 3) and no. 1 ballad"Greatest Love Of All" (track 4). Four extraordinary choices, producers get it right, presenting the four most notable cuts from Houston's debut and eliminating fluff.

From 1987's Whitney, no. 1 hit "I Wanna Dance With Somebody (Who Loves Me)" (track 5), no. 1 ballad "Didn't We Almost Have It All" (track 6), no. 1 "So Emotional" (track 7), and no. 1 "Where Do Broken Hearts Go" (track 8) appear. Another focused choice of four cuts, only no. 9 hit "Love Will Save The Day" ends up being omitted and that's justifiable given the focus of this particular set.

1990's I'm Your Baby Tonight is generally considered one of Houston's weaker albums. That said, it still yielded two great no. 1s via "I'm Your Baby Tonight" and big-time ballad "All The Man I Need." Both represent the album here as tracks 9 and 10. There were other charting singles from I'm Your Baby Tonight ("Miracle" at no. 9 and "My Name Is Not Susan" at no. 20), but producers again hit the nail on the head with the most preeminent hits.

After three studio albums, the soundtracks begin to take over, in chronological accordance of Houston's career. From 1992's Album of the Year winning The Bodyguard: Original Soundtrack Album, Houston's no. 1 interpretation of Dolly Parton's "I Will Always Love" enters in at track 11 proceeded by "I'm Every Woman" (track 12) and "I Have Nothing" (track 13). These are the most notable choices and any of the three would have skeptics preaching. The only somewhat questionable omission might be "Run To You." That said, in the logic of this compilation, "Run To You" only managed to peak at no. 31, so its omission is by no means a 'game changer.' 1995's Waiting to Exhale soundtrack is represented by no. 1 "Exhale (Shoop Shoop)" (Track 14) while 1996's The Preacher's Wife is represented by no. 4 hit "I Believe In You And Me" (track 15). No complaints here.

1998's My Love Is Your Love, arguably Houston's last 'blockbuster' studio effort, is represented by no. 4 hit "My Love Is Your Love" on track 16. This would be my biggest criticism. "It's Not Right, But It's Okay" gained more notoriety given its Grammy-win and presence as the 'voice' of that album; it also peaked at no. 4. Additionally, "Heartbreak Hotel" peaked even higher at no. 2 and was a pretty big hit. That said, neither of the three were 'classics' compared to say "Saving All My Love" or "I Will Always Love You."

Closing out the album are two 'bonus' cuts essentially - a re-recorded/duet version of "I Look To You" featuring its composer R. Kelly (track 17) and "Never Give Up" (track 18). 2002's Just Whitney is rightfully ignored, as is 2003's One Wish and 2009's I Look To You. The only argument to make toward 2009's I Look To You is omission of "I Look To You," though that cut had little traction ultimately on the charts.

Overall, this focused compilation gets things correct more often than not. My only major quibbles would be the failed omission of "One Moment In Time" (no. 5 hit) and perhaps the underrepresentation of 1998's My Love Is Your Love. Otherwise, there is little to knock. Highly recommended compilation for the late, great Whitney Houston.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 21, 2013
just not cutting it for me. Maybe for an artist that was not as huge as Whitney, Michael, Madonna, Janet, Tina etc. This could of been Arista's time to shine, but no they released a deluxe edition internationally & a single disc greatest hits in the US. This was the time to make something 100% better than the first Greatest Hits album that was released in 2000.

First off, the sound quality of each song has been remastered, so that is a BIG plus for me. Now, we all know "You Give Good Love" was her first big break through single. Actually Whitney's first single is "Hold Me" with Teddy Pendergrass. The song was a #5 R&B Hit & #46 Pop Hit. This is the song that should of started the disc off. Her second single released from the debut album was "Thinking About You", but was a minor hit on the R&B charts at #10 and it still should of been included here. Now of course, we do recieve the 4 classic songs "You Give Good Love, Saving All My Love For You, How Will I Know, & Greatest Love Of All". It would of been nice to include the original piano version of "Greatest Love Of All". They also could of included her international single "All At Once", which was a Top 5 hit in Italy & also recieved heavy airplay in the US. The song was also included in the first Greatest Hits album.

For the second album "Whitney!", we do recieve all of the classic songs (I Wanna Dance With Somebody, Didn't We Almost Have It All, So Emotional,& Where Do Broken Hearts Go?) in remastered form. The only single that was omitted was "Love Will Save The Day", but was included on the international deluxe edition. Also "I Know Him So Well" was another international single but did not have a major impact on the charts. Two other bonus tracks that would of been nice to include are "Just The Lonely Talking Again" & "Where You Are". The US edition does not recieve "One Moment In Time", but the international edition does? One Moment In Time was a #1 hit in the UK & #5 hit in the US, it should of been included here. Another bonus could of been to include "Do You Hear What I Hear?", which only recieved on the "I Will Always Love You" cd single in 1992.

From the "I'm Your Baby Tonight" album, the US version recieves the title cut & "All The Man I Need". The deluxe edition also recieves "My Name Is Not Susan" & "I Belong To You", which were both minor hits in the US. Am I the only person who noticed they did not include one of her most beautiful songs ever recorded titled "Miracle"? The song was a big hit in the US & should of been included here. Another single from the album was "We Didn't Know" with Stevie Wonder was a #20 hit on the US R&B Charts.

MOST IMPORTANT, they did not include her version of "The Star Spangled Banner". Whitney is the only artist to chart this song into the Top 10 ever.

They did include 3 singles from "The Bodyguard Soundtrack". We do recieve "I Will Always Love You, I'm Every Woman, & I Have Nothing". The deluxe edition also recieves "Run To You" & "Queen Of The Night". Both of those songs were minor hits in the US. As a bonus, it would of been nice to include "Jesus Loves Me" because it techinically was Whitney's last song she performed before her death. From the "Waiting to Exhale Soundtrack", we only recieve one track? They only give us "Exhale (Shoop Shoop)", and the international deluxe edition also recieves "Count On Me" with CeCe Winans. They didn't even bother to include "Why Does It Hurt So Bad?", which is a personal favorite of mine.

From soundtrack for "The Preacher's Wife", the US recieves "I Believe In You & Me" and the international deluxe edition also recieves "Step By Step". The latter song was a big hit in the US & was also one of Whitney's favorite songs. There was also another single from the album, "My Heart Is Calling". It was a minor hit in the US, charting at #77 pop & #35 r&b. In my opinion, it should of still been included here.

From her first studio album in 8 years, "My Love Is Your Love" the US edition only recieves the title cut. Are you serious? Where is "When You Believe", with Mariah Carey? Which was a major hit around the world, it was not included on either edition. The US edition does not include "Heartbreak Hotel", which was a way bigger hit in the US than the UK but it was put on the international edition. "It's Not Right But It's Ok" & "I Learned From The Best" were not included on the US edition, but were included on the deluxe edition. Both were major hits in both markets. I'm not sure why they included "If I Told You That" with George Michael, which was not a major hit. In my opinion, I would of rather they include "Could I Have This Kiss Forever?" with Enrique Igleasis. Another bonus from the first Greatest Hits album would of been "Fine".

It again slips here on both editions of the album. No songs were included from album "Just Whitney" or the holiday album "One Wish - The Holiday Album". I know "Just Whitney" did not have any break through singles, but "One Of Those Days" & "Try It On My Own" are two very underrated Whitney classic songs. Two other singles "Whatchulookinat" & "Love That Man" were minor hits, but no where to be found on either edition. She also had one single from the Christmas album titled "One Wish (For Christmas)", which was a Top 20 Adult Contemporary hit but again no where to be found.

Then for her final studio album titled "I Look To You", we only recieve a newly remixed version of the title cut with R. Kelly. They did include "Million Dollar Bill" on the deluxe edition, which should of also been included here because it was Whitney's final song to chart on the Billboard Hot 100 before her death. Another song that recieved heavy airplay was "I Didn't Know My Own Strength", in which was a great inspirational song but again it was not included here. However, the only bonus we recieved was a called "Never Give Up". The song was recorded for the "I Look To You" album but did not make it to the final track list. They could of also included the duet with Akon titled "Like I Never Left". Also to note, there were also no songs included from the "Sparkle Soundtrack" either.

On the positive note, I do love that all the songs here are remastered and the linear notes included in the booklet. I give the album 3 stars. Mainly because it's Whitney.

Whitney Houston will always be one my favorite female vocalists of all time. Her untimely death was so shocking to me, just as the death of Michael Jackson shocked me. Two of the greatest artists of all time have now gone home to rest, but they have left behind some of the greatest recordings ever. God Bless You Whitney!
HALL OF FAMEon November 18, 2012
one of the greatest musical talents ever and hearing all of these songs together at once is arguably the best all around compilation of her great artistic depths as a artist. she covers a wide range of styles through decades and you hear her voice in her prime and peak and she sounded truly like no other. songs that touched on all forms of life and situations. she truly left a lasting impression and a voice that spoke to a Generation. She is one of the Female mount rushmore artists to me.
on July 11, 2013
She will always be the Great Lady of American Singers. Once in a lifetime someone ultra-talented, head & shoulders above all others appears. That was Whitney.
Dissect her songs & style if you please, but better yet, just enjoy the marvelous voice with so much feeling that we have lost. A talent such as hers may never come along again.
on January 17, 2013
Apparently they don't sell the 2 disc deluxe version where I lived so I ordered it from amazom and came in mint condition, very satisfied with purchase, and love majority of songs listed, worth the price from a great artist who will be missed just like michael jackson.This covers her entire career completely which is great for any fan or newcomer, Includes all her big hits, The only two songs I see missing is Miracle from I'n your baby tonight and when you believe a duet with mariah carey from prince of egypt soundtrack no biggie though the good outweigh the bad.R.I.P Mrs. Houston
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 10, 2012
I love Whitney and have all of her albums. I wish these record labels would get more creative in enticing the die-hard fan to purchase these re-releases. I have no use for this compilation of songs that are on every other compilation. There has to be other unreleased versions, extended versions, unreleased material, demos, interviews - other add-ons that could make this compilation more interesting, creative and worth purchasing. Clive ... you can do better!

Just my opinion.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon November 13, 2012
"I Will Always Love You: The Best of Whitney Houston" is an excellent example of a single greatest hits record of an artist celebrating the singer's original voice and her presence in the music scene. Although not as near as extensive as her 2000's "Greatest Hits", this CD is sure to please the most ardent Whitney fan and those that have only discovered her music in the last year following her untimely death.

The tracks have all been remastered and what is also amazing is that the album contains all of her #1 hits along with two songs never released before: the R and B flavoured "Never Get Up", probably shelved from her "Just Whitney" album from 2001 and her original vocals of "I Look To You" from 1998's "My Love Is Your Love" CD. The latter is a beautiful duet with R. Kelly who wrote the song for Whitney and sang a stirring rendition at her funeral. In this outing R. Kelly's vocals were recorded in 2012 and were added to the original track.

Similarily Dolly Parton, who penned Whitney's signature song "I Will Always Love You", had a greatest hits album out 16 years ago titled "I Will Always Love You and other Greatest Hits" for Columbia.

This CD definitely serves as a fine remembrance of one of the greatest voices to ever live and it is through this record that Whitney Houston will always live in.
on July 3, 2013
This compilation of Whitney's songs is the best one to have. So excellent, it is FAR, FAR better than the 2000 2 CD The Greatest Hits. Reason being, this latest compilation has the ORIGINAL versions of her songs that were truly meant to be heard since their original release. The 2 CD compilation from 2000 was such a damn joke, a waste of people's money and not properly put together; there were way too many remixes, and some of Whitney's smash songs were almost unrecognizable and not worth listening to, because of the WRONGFUL remix treatment they got.

With this latest compilation from 2012, we get the hits and hear them the way they were meant to be heard; absolutely no remix was done (and no filler tracks, either). I have heard all of the songs on this single disc set (except for tracks 17 and 18), and they are great; just as we like for them to sound. With this album, you get an essay written by Clive Davis, who touched bases on working with Whitney, and his first sight of her. The musical partnership between these two people is, IMO, one of the greatest of the music entertainment industry. There are also images of her album covers, from the one on her self-titled debut in 1985, all the way up to her I Look To You album from 2009. Nothing on here from 2002's Just Whitney, or her 2003 One Wish Holiday album. A nice added touch to this compilation would have been her take on The Star Spangled Banner, from January, 1991, but I'm not griping; I'm satisfied with what's on here.

Whitney, you will always be loved and missed by your fans. God bless you and your family, for you are now singing with the others upstairs.
on May 16, 2013
Love Whitney's hits and more but my only con with the CD is with the track "I look to you", I would have preferred that it offered the version Whitney sang and added the R. Kelly renedition as an additional track.