Back to Business Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Chi-Raq Bose SoundTouch 130 Amazon Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Valentine's Day Cards Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage Shop Now SnS

on November 26, 2012
More than two years after the rescue of the Chilean miners, I had thought that I knew everything I wanted to know about their plight. Then I read "Finding the Devil," William Langewiesche's panoramic spectacle of the extraction. His mastery of the technical details of mining--the construction of tunnels, the nature of drills, the climate underground--is extraordinary, as is his ability to communicate this knowledge to the common reader. His portraits of the miners and their rescuers are incisive, as is his portrayal of the political circus that sprang up around the crisis from the beginning. Unexpectedly, Finding the Devil is tinged with comedy throughout. Not long after the drill bit explodes through the ceiling of the refuge, leading to joyous contact with the world above, several of the miners' families smuggle marijuana back down the shaft to their men. Langewiesche's epic will survive as the authoritative account of this not quite unalloyed tale of survival.
on December 14, 2012
Though I followed the story of the Chilean miners as the disaster unfolded, I had no idea of the rich tale behind the headlines. Langewiesche, an absolute master storyteller and reporter, delivers a gripping account of the miners' plight almost a mile underground as well as the opportunistic circus that sprang up on the fringes of the rescue effort. A wonderful story of survival, courage, and human nature.
on December 26, 2012
The whole world was captivated by the unfolding of the rescue of the Chilean miners and a great many of the events were captured by the media. And while the author did add a lot of very interesting material about how the cave-in happened and how the rescue was done, I was very disappointed by all that was still "untold" about the miners personal stories, how they survived the time underground, and how their families dealt with the anxiety of the tragedy. I also wanted to learn more about the technology used for the rescue, the politics of it within Chile and the outpouring of support from around the world. All these were mentioned, but with little detail. Often when I read a nonfiction book I feel there is way more detail than necessary and too many tangents, but this is the first time I finished a book and was left wanting more information. That said, I did enjoy reading it, the writing is clear and the descriptions evocative, and I would definitely recommend it.
on January 15, 2015
The author did a great job of describing and explaining the many aspects of the Chilean mine collapse of 2010. His style is engaging, easy to follow, technical where it needs to be yet never over the head of the reader. I appreciated the author's illuminating comments on the (as usual) over the top, self-serving actions of the press, politicians and even some miners' family members during this crisis. The author also describes how the members of the successful drilling crew, the real saviors, were pushed aside at the end, and wound up quietly packing their equipment and leaving without receiving due credit for their efforts. A sad final comment was that many of the trapped miners did not thrive once freed. Publicity, greed, PTSD and a host of other reactions soured their lives. All in all, this is a story about human nature with all its warts and with the flashes of heroism that give us hope during disappointments and dark times.
on January 21, 2013
This is an excellent story of the Chilean mine disaster, well-written with understandable explanations of all the technical parts. It begins with an overview of the mining conditions in Chile, then goes on to the story of how the mine collapsed and what the miners did to survive. The author was in the camp which sprung up around the collapsed mine and tells of the conditions there as the relatives of the miners waited for news. He tells how the rescue was completed, and how many politicians used the rescue for their own publicity. It is a gripping tale!
on January 22, 2013
A well written book about a story that the news on tv and newspaper kept us informed of for the duration. Mixed emotions for me seeing people from a different country deal with disasiter.This book took a public story and gave us a personal look,and let us know the stories of each person had far reaching details, of how an industry that would never tell the truth about the way it got away with putting people's lives in danger.. Another good book from Amazon
on February 13, 2014
Like the rest of the world, I was mesmerized to the tale of the Chilean Miners and I cried as I watched their rescue on television. This is an interesting look at details that escaped the TV monitors. I did however, wish for more. I didn't feel that I had learned a great deal more and I would have liked to "meet" more of the miners personally on the page. Worth the read, but somewhat disappointing.
on September 4, 2013
This short balances the telling of a technical history of the engineering feat(s) involved in the rescue of the 33, telling the human story of the men and their families, and illuminating a small bit of the internal politics that inevitably swirl around such incidents (and balances it well). It is a quick and compelling read that was well worth the time and price.
on April 12, 2014
One of those stories that you remember from a few years back....I remember just thinking "those poor guys are dead...." but as already there is more to the story than that, and the author does a great job of telling the whole story with perspective and hindsight. Recommended.
on October 4, 2014
I find this book do not add any really interesting facts about this already famous story.
The author gossip a lot about the families of the miners and other people about the site; that only make me feel like I was reading a tabloid magazine article not a book